Copic versus Spectrum Noir-A Product Comparison
by Debbie Ebat, Artistic Guide
Flower Digi 2 (Scrapbook Stamp Society, artist Karen Sheltrown)
Spectrum Noir (Crafters Companion)
LV2, PL2, LV1
YG63, YG67, TG61
Today's watering hole post is a little different. I was upset by the latest Copic price increase... I think it was the third one in a year. So I decided to take a look at some of the other alcohol markers. I was in JoAnn's and saw they had Spectrum Noir. So I picked up a package of purples to give them a try.
- The first major difference between the two brands is that the Spectrum Noir come in a set of 6 pens. So you get a color range to work with right from the start.
- The second major difference is the price. When I bought these at Jo Ann's they were $14.99 for six. I had a coupon, of course, so I got them for 50% off. Copics almost never go on sale and the latest retail price from Copic is $7.99 per pen, However, you can find them on line for a little as $5.24.
- They both can be refilled.
- I used these on a digital image printed on white paper. My printer is an Epson and I did not have any problems with bleeding from either pen. I did not try them with ink, but Tsukineko's Memento inks are a good ink to use with alcohol markers.
- Another big difference is the shape of the pens. I use the sketch version of the Copic markers. For me, I found when using the Spectrum markers, my hands were hurting by the time I had colored the flower petals. I can color all day with Copic markers and not have this problem. So I prefer the shape of the Copics.
- In my example, I tried to match the colors of the Spectrum Noir markers to the colors of the Copic markers to give a fair comparison.
- This is the digi image I used.
- The only parts I colored with the Spectrum Noir is the large petals. I discovered that it was harder to place the color where I wanted it to be with their bullet point nib as opposed to the brush nib of the Copics, but that might change with practice.
- This is how the flower looked after I colored all the petals.
- I normally would not mix these colors of copics, but did so, trying to keep to the comparison between the two brands of markers as close as possible.
- Here is the finished petals.
- Then, because all the uncolored area was bothering me, I colored the rest of the flowers. Here is a side by side shot for you to see the difference.
- As you can see, there's not a lot of difference between the two colored flowers. But I felt limited by the color range I had available in the Spectrum package. Copic markers have 358 colors to choose from, where as Spectrum Noir markers only come in 168 colors.
- It's no surprise to me, but I think I will stick with my Copic markers. I'd put it this way, going from Copic Markers to Spectrum Noir markers is like going from a BMW to a Kia. Yes the price is a lot better, but you're really limited in your options.
- Thanks for stopping by and please remember, this is only my opinion.
4 Responses »
Leave a Response