Tropical Colors: Nancy’s View
Tropical Day at the Beach
By Nancy Thaut, Artistic Guide
Finished Card Size: 6 ” x 4.75”
Beach Chair [DMD]
Fun-n-sun [Michael’s $1]
Flip-flops [Michaels $1]
Memories Black [Stewart Superior Internally]
Red Pinwheel [Color Box]
Stencil Chalk Talk 1 [Fairytale Creations]
Decorating Chalk [Craf-T Products]
Decorating Chalk Kit #3 [Craf-T Products
Workable Fixatif [Krylon]
Black Writer Zig Memory System [Kuretake Co.]
Various Copic pens [.Too]
Various Souffle pens [Sakura]
Various Gelly Roll pens [Sakura]
- Shown here is a stencil technique I learned several years ago. You can make a similar stencil out of heavy card stock. I’m using the stencil for clouds in the sky. Look at the stencil in the lower left hand corner.
- Next I stamped the lawn chair and umbrella on glossy paper with red ink. Once it was dry I cut it out and used a light tan pen to make it look like the sand in the area I couldn’t cut out, I colored the umbrella and set aside.
- For my card layout I first colored the area I wanted for the sand and dune with light tan chalk on a cotton ball. Next I took the ruler and marked a broken straight black line for the waterline. I continued making broken straight lines where the water would be. I then used a aqua pen and made wiggly lines over the black markings. I put the ruler along the water line and added blue chalk with a cotton ball. Then I sprayed the card with either Fixatif or hair spray to prevent smudging of the chalk and let dry.
- To make clouds, set the stencil in the top corner of the card. With my right hand I hold the stencil in place. With my left hand I brush the cotton ball away from the stencil. Continue doing this until you get the desired color of blue.
- This is what the first cloud looks like. Move the stencil around. Use a different part of the stencil so that your clouds look random.
- Do this until you’re happy with your sky. Add a darker shade of tan randomly for the dune. Spray Fixatif or hair spray to set the chalk and let dry.
- Stamp the fun-n-fun and flip flops and color. Add dune grass and attach the lawn chair and umbrella with pop dots. Cut a 12” x 4.75 piece of card stock fold in half and attach your completed card to the base card.
Sign the back of your card and give it to someone special.