Magnetic Holiday Bookmark
Finished card size: 2.25" x 3"
I have created a tutorial on making a small holiday bookmark. This is a great little gift for the book lover on your holiday list. The great thing about this bookmark is it's versatility. The image can be changed to match any theme. The magnet is hidden in-between the card stock so it is hidden even when the bookmark is totally open. The magnet is so firm that the book page will never get lost.
Very merry Christmas by Theresa Momber (GKD)
Cryogen (Curious Metallic)
Pure Luxury Wine With Everything card stock (GKD)
12" x 12" green card stock from my stash
Memento Tuxcedo Black (Tsukineko|
Copic Alcohol Ink Markers (Too, Inc.)
Acrylic stamping block
Double sided tape (Scor-Pal)
White embossing powder (Ranger)
Embossing Heat Tool (Marvy)
Large magnet discs - positive and negative poles (BasicGrey)
- Stamp the focal image on scrap paper and determine the direction of the light source. This will be the highlighted area. Identify the areas of the image that will be in shadow.
- Now stamp the focal image again on the Cryogen card stock. Using Copic alcohol ink markers B000, B00, B02, B04 flick the color from dark to light. I usually work from dark to light, however, this is a personal choice.
- Continue using G28 to shadow color for the holly leaves. Blend away from the shadow using YG63 and then G40. YG63 acts as a bridge between G28 and G40. Use a flicking method for blending.
- Using R20, R22 and R24, color the berries. The reds are best used sparingly. Red is one of the most challenging colors. It has a tendency to bleed. Color the stem with E30, E33 and E35.
- The base card stock was cut at 12" x 2.25" and scored at 3 in, 6 in. and 9 inches. The outer sections of the bookmark were folded toward the center line. Adhere a positive and negative magnet to the bookmark. Position the magnets on the two inner sections of the bookmark so they will be on top of each other when the bookmark is folded. Scor tape or a strong wide sticky tape is placed over the top of the magnets to provide extra strength. You can see that when the outer edges are folded toward the center, the magnets will be hidden.
- Apply extra tape to the edges of the bookmark. The bookmark will get a lot of use and the edges need to be adhered well. I actually applied a lot more sticky tape than is shown in this photo,
- Fold the two end sections toward the center. The magnets will be covered. You can stamp a sentiment on the inside of the bookmark if you choose to do so.
- The focal image is trimmed at 1.75in. x 2.5 in. Emboss the corners of the focal image with white embossing powder to give a "snow" effect. Cut and layer the Wine With Everything under the focal image. Adhere the layers to the bookmark. The bookmark is strong and will securely hold your place in your favorite book.
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial on making a magnetic holiday bookmark. I plan to make a few of these to place in my special holiday cards this season Don't stop there - this is very versatile and can be used with many different images for many different occasions!Thank you for taking the time to view my tutorial and HAPPY HOLIDAYS from my home to yours!