Holiday Blizzard 2011: Toilet Paper Roll Christmas Book
By: Cathy Peper, Artistic Guide
Finished size: approx. 2.25" x 4"
Child by Old Time Car, Evergreen branch and Holly Collage from Time to Stamp Collection (I Brake for Stamps)
Christmas Ornament (Innovative Stamp Creations)
Music Background and “Noel” (Flourishes)
Three Angels (Bella Rosa)
Tree Scene (Non Sequitor)
Evergreen Branches Background (Impression Obsession)
Christmas Past Collection (Graphic 45)
Hot off the Press
Solar White (Neenah)
Colorbox Pigment Ink in Black, Alpine and Quick Silver (Clearsnap)
Memento in Tuxedo Black and Bamboo Leaves (Tsukineko)
Distress Ink Tea Dye (Ranger)
Distress Stains Barn Door (Ranger)
Stazon Jet Black (Tsukineko)
Toilet Paper Rolls
Tags (Office Depot)
Ink Blending Tool with Foam (Ranger)
Ribbon (Really Reasonable Ribbon)
Perfect Paper Adhesive (US Artquest)
Glossy Accents (Ranger)
Eclipse Tape (Judikins)
Xyron 250 sticker maker (Xyron)
Miracle Tape (Viva Las Vegastamps)
Embossing Glitter in China Red, Honeycomb and Indigo (PK Glitz)
Black Detail Embossing Powder (Stampendous)
Emerald Embossing Powder (Sparkle N Sprinkle)
Heat Tool (Marvy)
Silver Embossing Powder (Ranger)
Blush, Evergreen, Tanzanite, Mellow Yellow and Ivory paint (Creative Inspirations)
Colored Pencils (Prismacolor)
Rub On (Making Memories)
Bind it All (Zutter)
.75 inch O wire (Zutter)
Copic Markers R37, G05, G07, G09, E19, E25, YG67 and BG11 (.too)
- Flatten your toilet paper rolls as flat as possible with a bone folder. I used four rolls for my book.
- Measure your TP rolls and cut your paper to twice the length, plus one inch and the width, plus one inch. I used Graphic 45 Christmas paper to cover mine.
- Cover the TP roll with adhesive and place on the paper, leaving about .5 inch of paper on the top and sides. I did mine in sections, gluing one side and allowing it to dry under a stack of books and then gluing the other side.
- Once the sides are both glued, cut slits in the paper at the edge of the roll, miter the corners, fold them inside the tubes and glue them down.
- Decorate the fronts of the tubes with images cut from the Graphic 45 paper and adhered with the Xyron 250 sticker maker.
- For the back of each tube, hide the paper seam by placing doubled sided tape down the length of the seam, sprinkle with embossing glitter and heat set.
- I further decorated the backs of the tubes with images cut from the Hot off the Press paper, stamped images and rub ons.
- Since each TP tube makes a convenient pocket sized for tags or ATCs, I decorated four tags to insert into the pockets.
- For the first tag, stamp the child and car image with black pigment ink and emboss with black powder. Then stamp the evergreen branch along the top and bottom of tag with green ink and emboss with green powder. Cover the tag with Barn Door Distress Stain.
- For the second tag, stamp the ornament with silver ink and emboss with silver powder. Mask the ornament with the eclipse tape and stamp the music background with Tuxedo Black ink. Distress tag by inking with tea dye ink. (photo tag 2 stamped) Remove mask and paint ornament with Blush paint.
- For the third tag, stamp the Holly Leaf collage with Tuxedo Black ink and color with Copic Markers. Lightly color the background of the tag with green chalk.
- For the final tag, stamp the three angels with Stazon ink and paint with evergreen, tanzanite and ivory paint. After the paint dries, add detail to the angels with colored pencils. Mask the angels and stamp the evergreen branch background stamp with Bamboo Leaves ink.
- To neaten up the backs of the tags, cover with light weight patterned paper. I used Hot off the Press paper.
- Attach a ribbon accent to each tag.
- Bind the book with the Bind it All machine. I’m not a binding expert, but since my project was smaller than 4 inches I used the extension paper stamp guide plate and bar and experimented with scrap paper until the holes were placed the way I liked. Then I punched the holes in each tube, one at a time. Make sure the tags are not inserted when punching the holes.
- Thread the O wire through the holes and compress the wires in the Bind it All.
- Decorate the O wire with more ribbon, insert tags and your book is complete.
- Be sure to sign your work and give it to someone special or use as a decoration for the holidays.