Holiday Blizzard : Holiday Tile Coasters
Dream, Explore and Discover Tile Coasters
By: Marie Gamber, Artistic Guide
Finished Coaster: 4" x 4"
I love the Holiday Season and I always like to have some crafted gifts on hand to give to friends and loved ones. Tile Coasters are a personalized and treasured gift that people love to receive. It is a gift that constantly reminds our friends that we are thinking of them. It is a gift that speaks of the warmth and joy of any Holiday Season!
Tree Silhouettes (GKD)
Sentiment: Life is Good/Illustrator Theresa Momber (GKD)
Stazon Dove Grey (Tsukineko)
Stazon Jet Black (Tsukineko)
(6) 4x4 " Agora Almond Porcelain Tiles (Del Conca))
(24) 1 " Soft Touch Felt Pads (Waxman)
Tim Holtz Idea-ology Sandpaper (Ranger, Inc.)
- Porcelain tiles can be purchased at any hardware or home improvement store. I was able to purchase my tiles at Lowes. I selected Agora Almond by Del Conca. They make fine Italian tile that is of good quality and durable. Porcelain tiles have a great surface for rubber stamping. It is a non-glazed tile that readily accepts the ink. I went through the box (don't tell Lowes) and selected tiles that were smooth on the top. You will want to wash and thoroughly dry each tile before starting your project.
- Stazon ink is a fade-resistant permanent dye ink. Stazon can be used on just about any surface. ALERT: Do not use Stazon with your Copic Alcohol Markers! I always use Stazon stamp cleaner to clean my rubber stamps if I have used Stazon on the stamps. Stamp your sentiment with Dove Grey in rows across the tile. Allow the ink to thoroughly dry. Gently sand the top to allow the image to give a subtle effect.
- Stamp the tree images with Stazon Dove Grey. This will now appear a little darker than your sentiment but it will be lighter than your focal image.
- After allowing the background trees to dry, Stamp tree images with Jet Black Stazon Dye Ink. I have found the images to remain clear and permanent with use. Water does not remove the image. Some crafters have elected to spray a light coat of sealer or some bake the tiles for 20 minutes at 350 degrees. These steps should not be necessary with Stazon, but I encourage you to do what makes you most comfortable.
- Apply a felt pad on the bottom of each corner of the coaster to protect furniture. Your friends and family members will appreciate that.
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial. Try it with different images and different colors. Thank you for viewing my tutorial and I hope you have a wonderful HOLIDAY SEASON!