Holiday Blizzard: Butterfly Box
Butterfly Stamp (me and carrie lou)
Flower Swirl Stamp from the Simply Divine Stamp set (the angel company)
White Cryogen Card stock (Curious Iridescents)
Lollipop Collection (Basic Grey)
Navy Blue Suede Paper (stash)
Scrap of light yellow cardstock (stash)
Memento Tuxedo Black Dye Pad (Tsukineko)
Palette Hybrid Inkpad Noir Black (the angel company)
Wooden Cigar Box (from stash)
Tea Kettle (Revereware)
413Q 400 Wetordry Sandpaper (3M)
Copic Markers (.too corp.)
Black Sharpie Marker
Fiskars Border Punch
Butterfly punch (Martha Stewart)
Xyron 500 create a sticker Machine
Apple Barrel Antique White Acrylic Craft Paint (Plaid)
Gloss Exterior/Interior Varnish (Delta Creamcoat)
Baubles Sting of Pearls embellashments (www.stampbella.com)
- Carefully Steam the label off the cigar box using a tea kettle.
- Sand the box taking off the finish of the cigar box. You don't have to take all the varnish off just the shiny finish.
- Paint the box inside and out with the Antique White Paint using the foam brush. Give the outside 4 coats or as many as needed to cover the box.
- Cut large three roses from the Marzipan paper from the Lollipop Collection.
- Stamp 2 butterflies on Cryogen cardstock with Memento ink and color with copics.
- Place the roses and one butterfly on the lid to figure out placement.
- Run the roses through the Xyron Machine.
- Very firmly stick the roses to the painted box allowing the roses to fall off the box top.
- Turn the box over and using the X-Acto Knife cut the excess of the roses off the top.
- Stamp butterfly with the Palette Ink in the center of the painted box. Stamp firmly but carefully. You want the antennae to show but not so hard as to break the lid. I had to use a sharpie to fill in the antennae.
- Run one butterfly through the Xyron machine and then adhere the butterfly over the stamped butterfly on the lid.
- Stamp the flower swirls using the Palette ink all around the butterfly and over the flowers.
- Using a purple copic marker color in the flowers of the flower swirls.
- Cut 3/4" strips of the pink from the Lollipop Collection and then put them through the fiskars border punch.
- Run the borders through the Xyron Machine.
- As you apply the borders to the top cut the corner in a 45 degree angle. That way the edges won't overlap.
- Cut strip of large striped paper from the Lollipop Collection, run through Xyron machine. Adhere to the edge of the lid top. Cut off when get to the edge. The edges are rounded so you have to cut each edge carefully so that you keep that shape with the paper.
- Cut a tag from the Lollipop Collection down on the long edges so that it fits under the clasp.
- Cut 3/4" strips of the narrow striped paper from the collection.
- Run the tag and the strips through the Xyron machine.
- Fit the strips under the tag and place on the box.
- Cut off the edges as above all around the box.
- Punch two butterflies using the Martha Stewart punch. Run through Xyron machine and adhere to the tag.
- Apply a coat of varnish with the foam brush to the back of the loose butterfly. Let dry.
- Apply a coat of varnish to the inside of the box and let dry. (I did this to seal in the scent from the cigars. Once the varnish dries you shouldn't be able to smell the cigars any longer.)
- Apply a coat of varnish to the outside of the box and to the front of the butterfly. Allow to dry.
- Put a strip of adhesive of the body of the butterfly and adhere over the butterfly that is already on the box.
- Put another layer of varnish on the box and the butterfly.
- Put the pearls on the borders of the top as shown. Do this before the varnish dries so that the pearls will stick.
- Cut the pieces of suede paper to fit inside the box. Make sure you make the side pieces long enough so that it covers all the sides. The sides are curved so you have to make them a little longer.
- Run all pieces through the Xyron machine and then adhere to the inside.
- I purposely didn't put all the lengths for the strips of paper because your box will probably not be the same size as mine.