Origami Diamond Fold Card
Tilda in the Fall
By: Pat St. Martin, Artistic GuideFinished Card Size: 4.25" x 4.5"
EZ Mounted Tilda with Umbrella (Magnolia Rubber Stamps)
You've Got a Friend sentiment (Prickley Pear)
Fall sentiment (Great Impressions)
Dusty Durango 12" x 12" (Stampin' Up!)
Cryogen 80# White (Curious Irridescents)
Aged Mahogany Distress Ink (Ranger)
Memento Tuxedo Black (Tsukineko)
Scrapper Floss, orange (Karen Foster)
Ribbon, Tangerine Tango (Stampin' Up!)
Leaf sticker (stash)
Sponge for burnishing
Pumpkin buttons (stash)
Birch leaf mini punch (Marvy Uchida)
Birch leaf small punch (Punch Bunch)
Oak Leaf small punch (Marvy Uchida)
Impatiens leaf punch (EK Success)
Maple Leaf Punch (Carl)
Double sided adhesive
- Cut the paper to 11" x 11". Patterned paper works much better than card stock, because of the thickness. Lay your paper on the scor pal, with the patterned side down, and using the guides on the top and the left, fold in half diagonally as shown in the photo below. Burnish the edge with the score tool.
- Line up the folded edge of your paper to the top of your Scor pal and score at the 3" and the 5.5" mark. Then flip your paper and do the same thing on the other side. Press firmly with your score tool as you will be going through two levels of paper.
Line up your paper with the point facing the left edge of the scor pal, and the folded edge evenly on the right, using the scor pal marks to make sure your paper is straight. Score a line at the pointed end of your paper on the 3.5" line.
- Your card should look like this.
- Look at the corners on the top. You will see small triangles on each side. You will need to cut those off.
- Now it will look like this. At this point burnish all your folds toward the inside. You need nice sharp folds.
- You are now going to make an origami fold on each side of the folded paper. Place your finger inside the two layers on the right, and using your thumb, push the paper up to create a diamond shape. Repeat on the other side.
- Burnish the edges of the diamonds.
- Open up the card and add tape or glue to the edges. HOWEVER, DO NOT PUT ANY TAPE ON THE DIAMOND SHAPE ON THE LEFT. See the picture below.
- If you make a mistake and put tape on that left edge, you will have to start over! Ask me how I know this!
- Be sure to refold the diamond on the right side before you press the tape down. Now when you fold the card up, you will have an envelope shape with a diamond on the right, and the untaped diamond on the left as a place to hold the folded down top.
- Now the basic card is complete and you can decorate it any way you wish. The whole process up to now takes only a couple of minutes. Trust me, it's a lot easier to do than to explain! Here is what I did to my card. I stamped Tilda with Memento ink onto cryogen paper and colored her with copics, and distressed the edges with ink. The copic colors I used were: pants - E17, E15, E13; umbrella, shirt and the trim on her pants - R000, R21, R20; hair - E35, E33, YR21; handle on the umbrella - E33, E31, shoes - C7, C5, C3; skin - E00, E50.
- I cut the papers to decorate and embellish the basic card as follows:
Tilda layer - 4" x 4.25"
Tilda background - 4.25" x 4.5"
Outer diamond shapes - 2..125" x 2.125"
Inside diamonds - 2" x 2"
- I then stamped the remaining images on the appropriate card stock, punched out the leaves, cut my ribbon, layered the card and applied all embellishments.
I hope you will give my card a try. What is nice is you also can leave the inside pretty much open and just stamp a thinking of you and write a note in it. Once you make one they are so easy. I've already made several more!!