Agust 2011 Trail Map – Nola’s View ***RRR***
Finished card size: 5" x 5"
Best Friends Forever, Pursuit of Happiness, Happiest Birthday Wishes (Stampin' Up!)
Solid Card stock: Peach Parfait, Old Olive, So Saffron, Chocolate Chip (Stampin' Up!)
Pattern paper (Creative Imaginations, South Seas)
Riding Hood Red, Chocolate Chip (Stampin' Up!)
Heat Gun for embossing
Wild Wasabi embossing powder (Stampin’ Up!)
Decorative Label Punch (Unknown)
Tasteful Trim Die (Sizzix)
Big Shot (Sizzix)
Liquid adhesive (Tombow)
- Cut Peach Parfait cardstock at 11" x 5.5'. Fold in half to create your card base. Cut top pieces of pattern paper at 2.625" x 2.25".
- To emboss the right side pattern paper with the leaves & ivy stamp from Best Friends Forever, stamp up the image with Versamark and then sprinkle the Wild Wasabi embossing powder. Gently shake the powder around so that the image is covered with it. Turn the paper over (you want to have newspaper down for your workspace) and flick it several times with your finger to remove the extra powder. Use your heat gun to turn the powder to a liquid. Allow it to dry for a minute or two.
- Run scrap of Old Olive cardstock through Big Shot with the Tasteful Trim die to create the scallop trim border. Glue the pattern paper together along the middle seam. Glue a bit of the top of the flat part of the Olive border to the bottom of the 2 pattern squares. Cut the bottom pattern paper at 5 .25" x 2.75". Glue that to the bottom of the Olive border. Glue all of this to the front of your card. Center it in the middle.
- Cut the 2nd layer (So Saffron) into a square at 3.75". Glue that to your card. Cut the 3rd layer (Chocolate Chip) into a square at 3/125". I was able to use a textured scrap of this color. Cut a square of Old Olive to 3 ". Place the diagonal in the grove of your paper cutter and slice. The extra half is now a scrap for future use. Glue the Old Olive to the bottom half of the Chocolate Chip square. Cut a scrap of So Saffron at 2.625" x 1.875". Stamp the heart from BFF in Riding Hood Red, and your sentiment (A Grateful heart...) from Pursuit of Happiness in Chocolate Chip. Take the RHR ink pad and scruff the edges all the way around. Glue that to the right side of the top layer.
- Using the Decorative Label punch, punch out a scrap of the pattern paper and emboss it (see directions above) with the BFF stamp in Wild Wasabi. Using the same punch, punch out another label with Peach. Take the scrap edge of the paper and punch out two of the ends of the punch. See the photo for where to cut. Cut the whole Peach label in half and trim off the edges. Trim off the paper points of the two sides. Carefully apply a bit of glue along the edges of the peach papers. Mount the label pieces to the back of the BFF label so that it makes a slightly larger punch shape. Apply Dimensionals to the back of the punch and mount to the center of the bottom of the card. See the photos below for more details.
Notes: I was thrilled to be able to use so many scraps to make this cute card. I used many more scraps to decorate the inside of my card as well as the envelope. Using the ink pad to scruff the edges of the phrase layer is one of my favorite techniques. I showed the sketch and the papers I planned to use to my friend Kathryn. It was her idea to use the green and white pattern paper for the top square. Flip that over and you have the paper with the swirls that I embossed on. I will give this card to my BFF Becky on her birthday later this month. We’ve been friends since we were 6 years old!
I hope you’ll decide to play along with this sketch too--we’d love to see what you come up with.
Stamp, Create, Play . . . Everyday!