Reflections: Rae’s Mirror
My sister-out-law is a fellow creative spirit. She makes incredibly fabulous pictoral art quilts, and we occasionally ride bikes together. She has been redecorating her bedroom - painting, new floor, new bed, etc. She wants to put new art on the walls as well, and had seen a bold poppy print at a thrift store, but it was rather expensive, especially for a thrift store. This mirror isn’t nearly as big as the print, but I thought it would look nice on one of her newly painted walls.
Butterfly (Inkadinkadoo clear stamp)
Alphabet (Clearly Wordsworth)
Vine (Inkadinkadoo clear stamp)
Small flower (Inkadinkadoo clear stamp)
Silver pigment (colorbox)
Light blue pigment (colorbox)
Wood framed mirror (Ikea-Malma) You could use any other wide wood frame, or just a board
Craft acrylic paint
- The Malma Mirrors from Ikea come in colors, or plain wood. I started with a plain wood one, as I wanted the base color to be raspberry. I mixed some craft acrylic paint till I got the right color. I painted a fairly thick coat that covered the wood grain.
- As the paint was drying, I fussy cut the poppies from a decorator napkin. The napkin was 2 ply, so I removed the back, leaving just the printed image. After deciding on where I wanted the flowers, I applied them with a coat of Mod Podge under the napkin, and another coat on top. I let that dry as well.
- I then started to stamp a vine picture randomly over the rest of the mirror. I didn’t like that. I sprayed the vine images with rubbing alcohol, and wiped it off with a towel. This took some of the paint off as well. I decided I really liked that look better, so left the distressed look rather than repainting. I love it when stuff like that happens by accident.
- The rest of the mirror still needed something else, so I picked the butterfly stamp and stamped 3 images using versafine black ink. I filled in some corners using a small vine using a silvery blue pigment from colorbox, stamping in a random pattern. I put 3 small flowers in silver pigment after each butterfly, leaving a trail.
- I still had a large space at the bottom that needed to be filled. I wanted a word or something more graphic. I tried a Love stamp, but it was too small, and too curly for what I wanted, so I removed it with the alcohol. This left a very bare spot, so I did reapply a small amount of paint and smeared it around thinly with my finger.
- I ended up stamping “Kiss Me” on silver cardstock, and cut the letters out. I adhered them to the frame with mod podge as well.
- That is what I was looking for!
Leave a Response