Recycled Art: Altered Paddle Card
Altered Paddle Card
Inspired by Deb Lovett
Finished card size: 4.5" x 9"
Spring Luna (Sweet Pea Stamps)
Classic Crest Solar White 4" x 6"
Dark and Light Blue 8.5" x 11" (Unknown)
Tuxedo Black Mementos ink pad (Tsukineko)
Deep Reddish Blue
Colorless Blender (.Too)
4 Dark Rainbow Mini Brads (Karen Foster)
Gold Perfect Pearls (Ranger)
Duo Green - Yellow and Blue Russet Pearl Ex (Jacquard Products)
Mod Podge (Plaid)
Mini Glue Dots (Fiskars)
Scissors (EK Success)
Crop-a-Dile (WeRMemory Keepers)
Decorative Corner Punch (EK Success)
Rub-On Sentiment (Stampin' Up!)
Mulberry Paper Flowers (Prima Mktg)
12" Blue Ribbon 3/8" Wide (Offray)
Butterfly Embellishment (Creative Charms)
Buttons (Found Objects)
Rhinestones (Queen & Co.)
Spray Starch (Niagara)
- Position the paddle on the light blue card stock and trace around it with a pencil and cut out, repeat so there are two shapes.
- Create a second paddle shape with the dark blue card stock marking a 1.5" tab on the left hand side about 1" out from the edge.
- With the scissors, clip the tab from the edge toward the inside of the paddle cover up to the point where the edge of the paddle cover begins.
- Lay the dark blue card stock on top of the light and fold the tab behind the blue and attach with Mod Podge.
- Coat the paddle with Mod Podge and attach the two pieces of card stock.
- Trim away the lower handle area from the top piece of card stock.
- Spray a light coat of spray starch on the dark card stock.
- Sprinkle powders on top of the spray starch and brush around (I used my fingers).
- Steps 7 and 8 can also be repeated on the inside of the card.
- Stamp the image on white paper.
- Color the stamped image with the markers using Powder Pink for the skin, using Flesh Pink for highlights.
- Color the hair Sand and adding high and low lights using the Chamios and Sepia browns.
- The mermaid's clothes, jewelry, hair accessory and tail are colored with Pale Blue and Phthalo Blue.
- Color the area around the mermaid on the left side with the Prussian Blue and on the right side with the Deep Reddish Blue, using the colorless blender to lightly remove color in areas so it will not be flat.
- Neatly trim the stamped, colored image out and attach to the front of the card with Mod Podge.
- Punch holes in the corners of the stamped image and attach the brads, I used the brads that closely match the color of the area it was to be positioned in so that they would blend in.
- Attach the second light colored paddle shape to the back of the card front with Mod Podge and trim away the handle area so the two adhere pieces are neat in appearance.
- Beginning at the bottom of the handle, attach mulberry paper flowers beginning with the larger ones.
- Continue adding flowers, working up the handle to the edge of the card front.
- Add the sentiment to the inside of the card.
- Add a few flowers to the lower area of the card front.
- Add ribbon between the flowers by creating loops and tacking down with glue dots.
- Add buttons among the flowers, adhering with glue dots.
- Attach rhinestones to the centers of the flowers.
- Add butterfly embellishment among the flowers on the handle.
- Continue to embellish the card front with flowers and buttons above the stamped image to taste.
- Enjoy sharing!
4 Responses »
Leave a Response