Flowers & Butterfly Thanks for the Adventurer
Flowers & Butterfly Thanks Card
By: Melanie Smith, Artistic Guide
Stamper's Quest is all about the journey and I have been having a fabulous one! I would like to invite you on my journey as I adventure some more with colouring pencils.
Finished card size: 5.5" x 4.25"
Flowers (Luxe designs)
Thanks (Hero Arts)
White A4 card (140gms) 297 x 210 mm - (11.75 x 8.25?)
Red card - ISO size A5 - 210 x 148 mm - (8.25 x 5.75ish")
Fluoro Yellow text weight paper
Black Archival ink pad (Ranger)
Yellow marker (Tombow)
Coloured pencils - I have used a mixture of Prismacolor (Prismacolor©), Aquarelle (Faber Castell), and Inktense (Derwent)
Artists oil painting odourless solvent (Art Spectrum - Australia)
Cuttlebug combo butterflies (Provocraft)
Cuttlebug Emboss Folder A2 "Border With Love" (Provocraft)
Double sided tape
White glaze pen (Sakura)
Clear gems (Kaisercraft)
Red or orange chalk (EK Success)
Making the designer paper:
- On the white card randomly stamp the flower stamps with black ink. Start with the largest stamp first and then fill in the gaps using progressively smaller stamps from the set.
- Using coloured pencils colour the flowers. Some around just the edges, some in the centre only and some on one side of the petals.
- For the very small daisy flowers I have used a yellow Tombow marker for accuracy.When all of the flowers are coloured take a paper stump and dip just the tip in to the odourless solvent.
- Use a swirling motion just wider than the coloured pencil line to blend the colour along the edges of the coloured area and drag it slightly out to the white area.
- Repeat along the colouring line back in the opposite direction using the same size swirls. Turn and repeat as many times as required.
- Re-dip the paper stump as needed.
- Continue until you have moved colour onto all of the white space and you are pleased with the result. (you may want to practice on a scrap so you know how much colour pencil and how much blending produces the results you want.
Constructing the Card:
- Take the red card and trim to 8.5 x 5.5 then score and fold at 4.25.
- Trim a piece of the stamped card to 4.25 x 5.25 and attach to the red card.
- Take a thin scrap of black card and run through the cuttlebug machine with the dots folder from the "A2 Border - With Love". Then use a white gel pen to go over the raised dots.
- When the white pen is dry attach to the front of the card.
- Put the fluoro yellow paper through the cuttlebug machine with the butterfly cutting die.
- Put the acetate through the cuttle-bug machine with the butterfly die.
- Stamp the right wing of the yellow butterfly with the "Thanks" word using Archival ink.
- Put the yellow butterfly through the cuttlebug with the dotty butterfly embossing folder.
- Chalk the edges of the yellow butterfly with red/orange chalks.
- Use a thin piece of double sided tape down the body of the yellow butterfly and attach the acetate.
- Bend the wings of the butterflies up gently to give a 3D effect.
- Then attach the butterfly to the black and white dotted strip.
- Embellish with tiny gems in the centre of some of the flowers.
- Step back and admire your gorgeous creation.